Monday, June 17, 2013

Parting Shots (Friday, June 14, 2013)

The trip home was much less adventurous than the trip to Italy.  We left the hotel at 7:30 for our 11:15 departure.  It took about an hour to get to the airport.  Security is different in Europe.  We didn't have to take off our shoes, but we had to put all of our electronics in a plastic bag.  We got checked-in, through security, and only had about forty minutes before time for boarding.  The girls bought a snack and I bought some chocolate for my Dollywood family.

No problems on the way to Detroit.  Lines were long at passport control and customs.  Our luggage was in Detroit for customs, and none of the girls' bags were dripping wine.  We got through customs and security with no problem and had a nice big hamburger and soda with unlimited refills.  Our plane took off right on time from Detroit to go to Knoxville and we landed around 9:10.  Mom talked to me to keep me awake on the way home, and I was greeted by excited meows.  Neyland has been very close to me since I've been home.  I walked through the house once to adjust the thermostat, and he stood in front of front door to keep me from going out.  I love to travel, but I love to come home.

There were a few times on this trip that I thought this might be my last student trip.  We had all the problems with our departure.  We had a curfew issue one night.  My iPod disappeared at some point.  I don't know if I left it behind at one of the hotels, if it got picked out of my backpack on the train on the way to Pisa, or if something else happened to it.  On the last night, when I went to organize our tips for our tour director and bus driver, money was missing from my wallet.

But, I also have to remember that I have been lucky as a traveler all of these years.  In all of my trips, I have only had lost luggage twice.  This was the first time I had ever missed a connection (though not the first time I've had to reschedule flights).  I also had never had anything stolen out of my room before, so I guess I have been fortunate.

If I do travel again, it will be in 2015 to England and France.  Click the link to see what you think about the trip.  Other possible trips include Experience England and France or Across the English Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment