Friday, June 14, 2013

Summer Fun (Wednesday, June 12, 2013)

For today having been a lazy day, I sure am tired.  I slept till nearly nine, grabbed breakfast, and headed to the beach.  I took pictures and waded a little and was out just long enough to get sun burnt.  Amy, one of the ladies with another group was telling about her parents swimming in the Mediterranean.  She said her father turned around and her mother was crying.  She said, "I'm in the Mediterranean Sea.  Jesus was in this water."  That almost made me cry.

 The thirteen who did not go to Capri had lunch at the hotel.  I had fried calamari and shrimp.  The shrimp had eyeballs!  I had never had shrimp with the head still attached.  There were also tentacles in the calamari (squid) which was also a new experience.  We had also lemon to squeeze over everything, and I think that was the best calamari I've ever eaten.

After that, it was time to go pick up the forty other people.  We stopped at a place that demonstrated inlay wood decorating.  It was beautiful, and I was actually tempted in this shop.  Hanging at random on the wall was an inlay of the Tennessee Titans symbol.  The guy was wearing a Cincinnati Reds shirt. We took a few pictures of the Bay of Naples, then headed into Naples to the port to pick up the others.

While Florence and Venice are large, they still have an old world feel to them.  Not Naples.  It was totally different from any place we've visited so far.  I needed a bank, and I couldn't wait together back to the bus.  I don't know how Elissa Giordano stood to live there.  However, we did enjoy watching a group of teenage boys play street soccer.  Sunshine wanted to join them, but couldn't quite get up the nerve.  I did learn that Napoli means New City, and it was a port city, therefore, it was the New Port.

After a day of playing in sun and water, we all slept, though I was awake for a gorgeous sunset.  We arrived in the Roman suburbs for a late dinner and a busy day tomorrow that includes the Vatican City and Colosseum.  Not a long entry tonight, but I am sure I will make up for it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment