Tuesday, September 2, 2014

NI Photowalk - Pointe du Hoc

Pointe du Hoc is a steep bluff where the Germans had placed several big guns that had the range to hit both Omaha and Utah Beaches.  The Rangers were tasked with the job of taking out those guns, and it required them to scale these cliffs to reach the German position.








Air support provided help for the Allies, dropping bombs in the fields at the tops of the cliffs.  Deep craters still remain from the shells that were dropped on the German position.





When the Rangers reached the top, the big guns had been moved to an orchard, but it was still a valuable for the Allies to control this spot as the Americans continued over the next several weeks to unload supplies and reinforcements on the two beaches.








This memorial to the Rangers stands at the top of the cliffs, representing the steep climb that the soldiers had to make.


While I was traveling, I got a Facebook message from a lady I had met on one of my previous student tours in England. She told me her youngest daughter was also touring Normandy at the same time.  A few days later, she sent me this picture that her younger daughter had taken.  Her older daughter was on the previous trip, so her younger daughter probably had no idea that she was taking a picture of me.  Small world, huh?

The information panels are new additions to the Pointe du Hoc park.  I thought some of the quotes were very poignant. 





No comments:

Post a Comment